The Unveiling
Monday, June 21, 2010

After moving so many times in our six years of marriage, I finally decided it was time to make the boys a real room, hence the whole bed making fiasco. I finished the last touches on the boys room this afternoon and I was so happy with the result. My inspiration was this map room, but I modified it quite a bit to make it a little more bright and whimsical. In the end, the result turned out totally different. 
I am so happy with it! The curtains are made from brown and white sheets that I cut up and sewed into horizontal stripes (and lined with a blackout fabric). The back pillow shams I sewed with a dark green fabric (hard to tell from the picture) and the front throw pillows are old pillows I covered and hand embroidered with the boys initials (made from white vinyl that I traced and cut using a printout).
The lamps are the white ones from ikea that I painted to match the room theme. I printed out a world map on my computer and cut it up to fit the lamp shade and lined it with green ribbon. I originally wanted a small lamp for the table, but I already had this tall lamp, so I decided to just go with it.
So I have more to go, some pictures for the walls, and bedskirts, to name a few, but that may be sometime down the road. For now I am just enjoying their fun now room! 






June 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM
That is so cute!! Yours is even cuter than the inspiration room.
June 21, 2010 at 2:35 PM
Oh my gosh it turned out so great! I LOVE that room! The curtains are really impressive. I can't believe you actually made the stripe yourself. The best part, though, are those beds! They definitely came with a price (namely a hospital visit!). Way to go in actually achieving an amazing vision. Is Bennett in a big bed already?
June 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM
Oh Heidi, I LOVE IT. And to think we get to see it in person in just a few weeks! You did such an amazing job on everything. I love the light/balls above Bennett's bed, the pillows with the letters, the bedframes. Way to go. What a fun project!
June 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM
I forgot, I also love the curtains, what cute stripes!
June 21, 2010 at 3:55 PM
Wow! That room is adorable! What kind of paint did you use on the lamps? I love the striped curtains.
June 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM
AWESOME, awesome, awesome! Looks like pottery barn! :)
June 21, 2010 at 5:21 PM
Very cute! I love what you did. I can't wait to do something like that for my girls!
June 21, 2010 at 7:09 PM
The room looks great. I wish I was crafty. ha ha.
June 21, 2010 at 8:34 PM
You are AMAZING. That is all.
June 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM
WOW! The room looks great. Way to go!
June 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM
I love it!! I am soo impressed!
June 23, 2010 at 6:20 PM
Heidi! It turned out SO cute :) Nice job!
June 26, 2010 at 2:46 PM
It looks SO great!
July 4, 2010 at 9:14 PM
I love it! I especially like the curtains! I think it is so cool that you made them yourself. I think I might copy a lot of this stuff.
July 23, 2010 at 10:15 PM
I need to make my boys a "real room" too... can't decide which Knock-Off Wood beds to make!!