A Case for Minnesota
Saturday, January 26, 2013
I am not from Minnesota. In fact, the thought of dressing your kids in snow pants and boots for school every day is so far from my childhood that the fact that people lived like this never crossed my mind. Not once. Not ever.
When I tell outsiders that we live in Minnesota. I usually get the response: "Why?" Followed by a discourse about how hard it must be to hole up inside 8 months of the year.
I am here to tell you that Minnesota Winters are the most glorious thing ever to a 6 and 4 year old. I asked Jackson and Bennett last week what their favorite season was. They both cheered out in agreement: "Winter!"
So I am here to tell you that we love Minnesota for the Winters, not in spite of it. I am also going to clarify why it is not borderline child abuse to move a child here.
1. Summer: Yes we all love summer. It is beautiful here. Everything is green. Everyone in the entire state is soaking up every last bit of sunshine: walking dogs, going for runs, gardening, biking, and I could write an entire post just on the water sports. Our city probably has 5 recreational lakes within a 15 minute drive. What better summer could a child ask for than playing in the sand on a beach at a minutes notice? We love Minnesota Summers.
4. Spring: Oh Spring. Glorious Spring. I would venture to say that nobody appreciates Spring like a Minnesotan. I get a kind of euphoria when the ice gets slushy and the ducks come back. It's like the warmth goes straight to our soul. Everyone is chipper, sitting on porches, emerging like butterflies. I wish I could explain in more detail or with better words the feeling that Spring brings after a long Winter, but all I can come up with is joyous. Spring is joyous.
So there you have it. This is a GREAT place to live, and especially raise a family. I probably didn't convince anyone the joys of long winters, but I at least achieved some kind of satisfaction by writing this. And if a girl who spent her entire childhood in California can make a case for Minnesota, there's hope for everyone.
January 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Wow! I'm not so sure I could do it. But well done for finding so much joy in the weather where you live! :)
January 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Beautiful writing, Heidi. Miss you!