Bike Bonanza  

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

One of the greatest things about living in Minneapolis are the bike trails. Everywhere. Apparently it is of the top cities in the country for biking (tied with Portland). My neighbor told me that you can bike all the way to the other side of the city without having to go on a single street.

However, I know little to none about bikes and biking. I myself have not sat on a bike since I was around 12 years old, and even then, it was a purple single speed banana boat bike that I never rode more than around our cul-de-sac. But somehow I birthed a child who is crazy about biking. One time last year, Greg's parents were in town and while I was gone for one hour, Greg's dad taught Jackson to ride a two wheeler. Amazing. The next day he start riding super fast, jumping of curbs and doing some considerably dangerous turns. Any time we go anywhere, he takes advantage of any down time while I load up the car by riding his bike, even if its only for a few minutes. He's on it every day after school and while he waits for the bus.


So Greg and I decided we should probably fuel his passion by giving him the opportunity to bike more than just in our driveway. Greg and I got bikes of our own and even scored a cheap bike trailer for the younger boys to ride in. As I sat on my bike, I felt the same trepidation I did when I was first learning to ride when I was five years old. But it only took a few minutes to get comfortable and feel the same thrill of flying I had when I was a kid. No wonder Jackson is so enamored with biking.

I had these dreams of biking with the boys every day, exercise for me and Jackson and a way to get to some new parks around here. So I hitched up the bike trailer and we started out for a nearby park. I got down the driveway and felt like I hit a brick wall. The WEIGHT of two boys in a bike trailer was insane, certainly not the freeing feeling I had felt riding without it. I had to stop several times before finally making it to the park, which couldn't be more than 1/4 mile away. I don't know how I thought pulling an extra 80 pounds behind me would be a piece of cake, because it certainly felt like I was pulling plenty more than 80 pieces of cake. Not to mention the angry words my rear end screamed at me all the next day. Today I took the kids out again and while it was still incredibly difficult, I could see some improvement and ended up going 3 miles. So I am committed to stick with it. After our morning bike ride, my legs felt like rubber. Jackson walked in the door after returning from school the first words out of his bout were "can we go on another bike ride?". Oh Jackson, that I could have your energy! Even if my legs were cooperative, My rear end definitely needed some R and R.


Saturday we went out on our first family bike ride (this time Greg included) and this time Greg got the "opportunity" to pull the trailer. Needless to say it was so much more fun this time :). Jackson turns into a different person when he's on that bike, and I really can't blame him. As we whizz by incredible scenery, parks, herons, turtles, geese and even minks, it makes me want to foster this passion within him, and I can't help but feel like all is right in the world.


I am a naturally frugal person so I often feel the sting of buyers remorse when I make even slightly high purchases, But I think it is safe to say that this is one purchase I won't be looking back at. I have a feeling biking will become a new love for our family, and perhaps my rear end will start enjoying it too.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button


6 Validations of my effort: to “ Bike Bonanza

  • Angela and Mike
    May 30, 2012 at 6:13 AM  

    I love thinking of your whole fam biking. I used to love biking around trails with my friends. And hey, maybe you'll get some nice muscles doing it!

  • Steel
    May 30, 2012 at 10:18 AM  

    Heidi--I loved this post. So glad you guys are all experiencing the thrill of bike 'flight'--sounds like a great, healthy, low-fossil fuel consuming family activity!

  • hilary w
    May 30, 2012 at 11:59 AM  

    How fun! I can't imagine pulling two kids in a trailer, though! You are one tough woman! I wish Jack were more into biking. He is still too scared to take the training wheels off. We've forced him to try several times but he just won't get up the nerve to just take off! Hopefully one day. :)

  • Dan and Laura
    May 30, 2012 at 8:50 PM  

    First of all, I love Steel's comment. :) So eco friendly. Second, way to go on building some serious leg muscles!

  • Amber
    May 31, 2012 at 8:01 AM  

    I love this post! Great, fun writing! I played volleyball on Tuesday for the first time in, well, a lot of years. And my quads and shoulders, and arms have been "screaming angry words at me" ever since!

  • Jill
    June 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM  

    Way to go, Roses! What a happy development.