Plug
Thursday, December 9, 2010
For the past year or so I have been working on and off with Jackson on his reading. I got a recommendation for this book from a friend and it has been the best thing to hit Jackson since Uno cards. 
He's been interested in reading for what seems like forever and has always had in insatiable thirst for learning. (Mom can you teach me how ice freezes? Can we practice adding with tiles? Tell me the story of Adam the prophet...) Since we started this book his reading has really taken off.
The book is organized into 100 lessons, each about 10 minutes long (although Jackson is so anxious he can usually get through one in about 5). We can easily do two in a row in a single sitting. It's written in a script format so it tells you exactly what to say and how your child should respond. Simple, yet genius.
I am amazed as I have watched Jackson go from reading short words (am, it, cat) to now reading full sentences. He's even working on harder sounds like the "th" sound. It's almost like watching magic in action. Today he read me "that ram is sad." We are on lesson 20.
So if anyone is looking for a way to introduce, or supplement your child's reading, this book comes highly recommended! I will say however, the lessons are a bit repetitive and not terribly exciting, so I would wait until your child is really excited about reading instead of introducing too early and have them get bored.
It's only a few more lessons until he should be reading pretty substantial stories and I am so excited! I hope he's this excited about reading once he can ACTUALLY read!
December 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM
I have also heard very good things about this book. It's good to hear another testimonial of how it works well for you guys. :) Way to go Jackson (and mom!)!
December 9, 2010 at 9:27 PM
Nice book! Who told you about this? :)
December 9, 2010 at 10:08 PM
that's awesome! i wouldn't give the book all the credit though.. you are a great mom! keep it up!
December 10, 2010 at 1:55 AM
I can't wait to hear him read. That is so exciting! What a smart little guy.
December 10, 2010 at 2:17 PM
I have used this book to it's great.