Profile of a Child:
Saturday, November 20, 2010
I have two boys. They are as different as can be. I love their different personalities (most of the time). But when it comes to Christmas presents, it makes it so much harder to buy for their individual interests and personalities. So I am enlisting your help.
Here is the profile of Child #1:
Jackson:
Jackson is an ultra energetic and competitive 4 year old. His favorite activity is basketball, or board games he can win (If I win, life as we know it is over for about 10 minutes). He doesn't like imaginative play, and instead asks ME to make up scenarios or choose the colors he will color with. He likes cars, trains, blocks, legos, and lincoln logs for about 5 minutes. He has an incredible attention span for books however. I am his number one buddy, and Bennett is just a brother who ruins his shots, or breaks his puzzles (he hasn't mastered the art of the benevolent older brother). He likes challenging toys that involve winning something. Like racing cars, difficult puzzles, and has recently delved into the world of word searches. Again, he likes to paint, color, and play with clay, as long as I am there to guide him on what he should paint/color/make and what colors he should use. If he could choose he would watch TV and play computer games or the Wii all day, so I am doing my best to steer clear of any toy that might continue along that vein.
Ideas I have for him so far include: Tangrams, Remote Control Car, a Sled, LED Flashlight
And Child #2:
Bennett:
Bennett loves all types of vehicles. He plays with trains by himself for lengthy amounts of time. He likes to line things up, stack blocks, and do easy (preferably vehicle related) puzzles. He loves toys that make sounds and has incredible stamina for pushing the same button over and over. I also catch him looking out the window on occasion, just for fun. He likes books too, but will usually only tolerate 2 in a row before he's ready for something else. He pays attention to detail and is very sensitive to texture and temperature. He likes to play with me, but also doesn't mind playing on his own for awhile. He likes active games, but only at the prodding of his older brother. He often wanders off without a word. Oh and I forgot, Bennett hates loud noises.
Ideas for him so far include: Ramp/Parking Garage, Airplane, Remote Control Car, LED Flashlight
So considering these two divergent children, what types of toys would you recommend? Jackson is hard. What toys do you have for a child who is mom's shadow who struggles to entertain himself longer than 5 minutes? Bennett plays with every toy we have and then some. And since we have all of Jackson's old toys, I never know what to do for the child that already has so much. I rotate our toys and recently pulled out a new set this week. Bennett is still on cloud nine, while Jackson got bored after an hour.
Any suggestions would be welcome!
November 20, 2010 at 7:49 PM
I'm getting a train set for Colton this year too with some Thomas stuff to add to it. Colton has liked the mini tonka chuck cars and little sets (firestation/parking garage etc..)and they are less than $15.
Jackson boy...hmmm...what about a Go Fish game. You proabably already have that. How about a bike? maybe that's not great for your townhouse. Boy he is tough. He sounds like Mike who pretty much just played with balls and made up games with greg.
November 21, 2010 at 9:41 PM
i say get Jackson a DVD that teaches him dance moves. (it'll help him develop his rhythm and love for music while at the same time burning energy!). As far as Bennett goes, maybe a fake cell phone?
November 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM
What about a TAG for Jackson? If he loves books and things like the Wii I bet he would love it and it is super educational. Most of the people I have talked to with little boys love them if they love books. Just an idea.
Good luck with Bennett. Little boys are so hard!
November 22, 2010 at 12:58 PM
My kids have a tag and love it:) Also I got Gavin a fun little Cars parking garage/ramp thing from Costco.
What about "Instruction" books; books that show step by step how to draw something or how to make something, that way the book shows him instead of you. Check out Usborne books, they have a lot of really great interactive books or kid kits that would be great. Here is the site I know of but if you can find a rep in your area do a house party (or online) to get free books:) http://www.myubam.com/ecommerce/main.asp?sid=V2822&gid=107838079
I'm not typically one for "parties" like this but I did it a year ago and got TONS of really great free books....Good luck!
November 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM
Get Jackson the card game BLINK. I just discovered it for my 4 year old and it's awesome! Each game is over in the "blink" of an eye. We can play it 4 times in 15 min. and it gives me qualitly time with out having to spend forever setting up games! My 6 and 8 year olds love it too even whe the four year old beats them! Oh and you can lose cards under the sofa or what not and it won't ruin the game!